[Shop’s up, folks. My machine and I are going to have a serious talk and then we’re going to make some more bags.]
Curt gave Rylie a bath while I cleaned up dinner (fried chicken and corn on the cob may just be the world’s messiest dinner) and then got her ready for bed. He must have dug into the back of her shelves, because he found the 2 new winter pjs I snagged at the Carter’s outlet (Diane was at Eddie Bauer). They zip up (Hallelujah) and are snug and have feet in them…with no-slip bumps for when she walks (which I’ve already decided will not happen until she’s 2).
People. I totally cried. They fit now. Her 12-month pjs fit now. She looks like she’s 8 years old! I half expected her to ask me for her own cell phone for Christmas or something! I just… well, I was just overcome. She’s so tall… and strong… and hilarious… and this afternoon she pulled the stool down on top of her and busted her lip and just cried and cried and cried with her head on my shoulder. I’ve been pretty weepy lately anyway…she is not helping the situation.
Hey- we are ROCKIN’ the cloth world, people. We got cloth comin’ out of our ears. We got cloth on day trips. We got cloth on overnight trips. We got cloth at the supermarket and we got cloth at bedtime. We got nakid buns all over the place. There were tears of frustration (thank you to Shanna who pushed me on and swore it would get better)…but now, dudes, we are ON IT. Easy. Natural. Oh so soft. Some of you have asked what we ended up with…allow me to divulge (Erica, this is especially for you).
- MotherEase- 5 of their one size deal-ios. I wish I had 100. I love these things. LOVE. THEM. Even on Ry’s teensy buns, I LOVE THEM. Ilove’emIlove’emIlove’em.
- I have 3 Thirsties covers- would like maybe 2 more. Lightweight and FANtastic.
- I have 2 AngelDry pocket covers- great for at night. I like.
- I have 30-some regular sized Chinese prefolds- for stuffing in the AngelDrys, for extra liners, and for when I run out of the MotherEase (like, after 11:30am…my kid apparently potty’s every 20 minutes or something). You seriously have to wash AND DRY these about 8 times before they are absorbant. Seriously. They don’t work AT ALL if you don’t. Someone I know may have had a really bad day because they thought it was just a manufacturers suggestion. It’s not. Seriously.
- I have 4 Snappis (because I lose things…a lot.)
- I have maybe 10 diaper pins stored in a covered bar of Ivory soap to help them slide.
- I pitch the wet diapers down the basement stairs until I can make it all the way to the dry pail in the basement.
I do not have any all-in-ones and don’t really plan on getting any. I use the Thirsties/AngelDry covers at night and when we’re cruisin’ the town… but most of the day the kid just scoots around in a prefold. I figure it buffs the floors. I do laundry about about every 3-4 days…though I have enough prefolds to finish out the week. I just don’t like everything sitting there, ya know? I have spent about $200 and should be set for the next few kiddos (no, nothing yet- sit down). The lingo in Cloth World is psycho weird. Longies, snappis, prefolds, pockets, AIOs, AIO2s, jelly roll, skirties, shorties…sheesh. Someone needs to talk to the nature folks about their VOCABULARY. But otherwise, I am a very happy cotton mamma. Ladies- you can do it. I promise you can. Thank you to all the moms who went before me and made my research that much easier.
And I suppose that’s more than any of you ever wanted to know.
Blessings to you all this weekend…I hope you laugh a lot.
We’re gonna eat pizza.