We’re in Texas! For months now, we’ve been planning a surprise road trip to Texas for Thanksgiving. Dad knew, but mom didn’t. We were extremely successful. I believe there was an accident at 2pm on I-35, and that was due to my mother screaming when we walked in the door. Curt will return this weekend, but Ry and I will stay until December 11th or so and ride back up to Michigan with Dad.
While we are happy to be ‘home,’ it was not a brilliant plan. In fact, let me give you some pointers in case you ever decide to do the same:
• Please be 6 months pregnant and in need of a restroom every 15 minutes. I can give you a list of all the nice(r) restrooms along the way from Gary to Memphis to Little Rock to Arkadelphia to Dallas to Belton.
• Please bring along a three year-old who is not even still when she sleeps.
• Please be frugal and drive. Obviously. 20 hours in a car is MUCH more exciting than airport security and fold-down trays.
• Please have your husband herniate 2 discs the day before leaving and enter experimental therapy at the doctor’s office to survive the trip. To make it really awesome, he should be unable to sit for more than 30 minutes at a time.
• Please, at mile 1000 of 1260, exchange your child for an alien that screams for solid ground and freedom.
Our trip was extremely uneventful, thankfully. We had no traffic, no cops, no mishaps… nothing until the Hillsboro construction that’s been in-progress since I was in high school. It will make you want to pluck out your eyelashes one by one and turn around and head for home even though you’re only 1 hour from your destination. But, we made it. And, we are thankful.
We are thankful for this holiday and an excuse to be together before our little family expands. We are thankful for cousins coming in town to share the table with us and for friends to visit and play with us. We are thankful for safety and vacation and childhood beds. We are, simply, thankful.
Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours…
Y’all be safe.