The track suit will be FANTASTIC… particularly post-SuperKid when the bottoms *ahem* fit. Be sure to comment on my sportiness when you visit me in the hospital.
I received a coveted leather belt with a non-outrageous buckle that brings me one step closer to Maria Bello’s wardrobe in Flicka.
I went out to dinner with Jami and Jeff and Curt for New Year’s Eve. No children. Sushi, steak, hibachi. It was the best NYE I’ve had in a looong time.
I received TWO pair of hand-me-over Danskos from a fellow mom who had outgrown them thanks to the weirdness that is pregnancy. I wear them every day. I love them.
I accepted, on SuperKid’s behalf, a surprise gift of 2 up-cycled bibs and burp cloths hidden amongst the Christmas Card mail. I was shocked and thrilled and just simply thankful. So sweet. Really. Thank you.
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
There is truly nothing I can say today in the wake of the Haitian nightmare playing itself out below our borders. The Western Hemisphere’s poorest nation was hit by a 7.0 earthquake on Tuesday… something even a strong, organized, calm city would struggle to survive.
I consider this blog a community, and so I shall take my liberty here in urging you to give. It is our privilege and our duty to help those less fortunate. Give $10. Give blood. Give clothing. Give food. Educate yourself and your children. Pray. Many of you have organizations you know and trust, and I am happy to add them to the list below.
• donate to Doctors Without Borders
• text “HAITI” to “90999” to donate $10 to the Red Cross (secured by the US State Department)
• donate to Compassion International’s Haiti disaster relief.
• donate to Hope for the Hungry, our personal choice. This is a local ministry from my hometown. Dan Kirkley, the president, is a family friend and performed our wedding ceremony, so I personally love this mission’s heart. Here’s a link to their facebook page, where you can give online for Haiti. Donations are administration free- 100% goes to Haiti.
• donate to God’s Littlest Angels, another charity with very close local ties.
Get your neighborhood, your carpool, your bowling league to go in together and make a donation.
Sometimes, a little incentive helps push us towards making a small move. I get that. I’m happy to help in that area. If you donate, let me know (in the comments or covertly at katiemulder AT gmail DOT com). I’ll send you a little something as a thank you.